Old World Spirituality
Old World Spirituality (OWS) is spirituality that is aimed at suppressing, distorting, and preventing Connection.
Identifying Spiritual Systems based on OWS principles is easy. To identify a spiritual system as "old world," look for
- Statements that exclude. The good people versus the evil people. The good get rewarded, the evil are punished. Some go to heaven, others get the cosmic trash bin. Some people are worthy, some are not. Some will evolve, others are evolutionary dust. Us versus them. We versus they. Some are deserving of reward, cash, the easy life. Others need to be excluded.
- Statements of karma, retribution, and forcible punishment. You get what you deserve. You are being punished for your sin. You need to work off karma.
- Statements that emphasize hierarchy and justify privilege. You’re an old soul. You’re more evolved. You are chosen by God. You’re spiritually or evolutionary special and therefore you deserve more than others.
- Statements that belittle or disparage the human experience or the natural world. The body is irrelevant. The natural world is dirty and debased. Our experience here is degraded in some way (so called "disembodied" spirituality (Ferrer, 2006)). Our goal is purification or Spiritual Ascension (as opposed to Bodily Ascension).
- Statements that justify the abusive application of power. It is natural and “right” to let the poor starve (i.e., survival of the fittest). God will rain down his “wrath.” Spare the “rod.” Punishment justified by “judgment.”
- Statements of spiritual tutelage and graduation. This earth is a schoolyard, we are here to learn "lessons," to purify our souls, to learn good manners, etc. If you meet certain conditions, you’ll graduate/move to the next level/earn your wings, etc.
Characteristics that identify a system as Old World Spirituality include:
- Lack of grounding in reality. OWS Systems are not attentive to the real conditions of 3D world, often preferring to ignore reality and present a fantasy. We often find statements like “everything is ok” when even a cursory glance at the world will reveal massive suffering, pain, violence, poverty, war, disaster, and death.
- Lack of epistemological sophistication. OWS Systems usually proffer and prefer a single methodology. Science prefers “external” verification of truth, for example, while mysticism prefers “internal.” In truth, a combination of both is required.
- Military-like hierarchies.
- Sublimation of chakral energies and/or heart chakra up activation. Rejection of personal power, rejection of sexual energies, rejection of root energies, rejection of connection to the fabric, rejection of intuition/higher senses,
Sharp, Michael (BOOK3). Lightning Path Book Three: The Basics. Lightning Path Press. http://press.thelightningpath.com/product/lightning-path-book-three-basics/
Ferrer, J. (2006). Embodied Spirituality, Now and Then. Tikkun. 21(3): 41-64